miércoles, 27 de junio de 2012

June 27th, 2012


This week is flying by. On monday I went to class and then explored a little more of Puebla with my tour guide. I bought a plate and bowl of talavera poblana for my mother, which is a type of ceramic that is only made in Puebla and surrounding communities. I then went out to eat with Paty, a host family member, and her friends to eat cemitas. Tuesday I visited the The House of the Serdan Brothers or the Revolution House. Afterwards a couple of the tour guides, another student and I went to a cafe to drink some coffee with chocolate and play scrabble in spanish. Today was nice because after class we had tacos gringas and instead of touring, we all took a break and went bowling or "jugamos boliche." I walked around for a while and of course right now, like every evening/night I am in the kitchen spending time with my host family.


Talavera pottery of Puebla is a type of majolica pottery. Authentic Talavera pottery only comes from the city of Puebla and the nearby communities because of the quality of the natural clay found there and the tradition of production which goes back to the 16th century. Much of this pottery was decorated only in blue, but colors such as yellow, black, green, and orange have also been used. Majolica pottery was brought to Mexico by the Spanish in the first century of the colonial period. Production of this ceramic became highly developed in Puebla because of the availability of fine clays and the demand for tiles from the newly established churches in the area. 



Another picture of my typical breakfast of eggs, sausage, and a nice plate of fruit. 

This was another typical plate of Puebla that I ate. It's called carne de lomo a la salsa poblana (pork tenderloin in a poblana sauce with rajas or roasted chile strips). 

This building is the Mexican Revolution Museum also called the House of the Serdan brothers. This is where the first battle of the Mexican Revolution took place on November 18, 1910. The Serdan family was betrayed two days before the planned uprising against President Portifio Diaz. The house still has the bullet marks from the battle. This museum depicts the life and times of Aquiles Serdan and his family. 

One of the rooms in the house. 

The three Serdan brothers

The kitchen

The front of the house where you can see bullet holes on the walls and in the mirror. 

A nicer picture of the house. 

Us playing Spanish scrabble at a cafe 

This is the taco gringa or a taco al pastor (pork). It is huge, I would say 3 tacos in one. It was delicious!

The inside stuffed with a lot of pork!

The bowling alley!

My tour guide, Daisy, about to bowl. 

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario