lunes, 18 de junio de 2012

 
Today was a typical day, I went to class, I explored some different parts of town and I spent a lot of time with my host family. Fabricio and Fany (Mago's grandchildren) wore me out! I played hide and seek, dominos, "duck, duck, goose!," and watched Lady and the Tramp II (in Spanish) with them. Before I knew it, it was past 10:30 and I still hadn't done my homework from class! I am exhausted! Anyways, instead of posting more pictures of churches and different tourist spots, I just wanted to share some of the great foods I have tried so far here in Puebla. Watch out, you might get hungry!

This is a Cemita de milanesa de pollo (breaded chicken) with cheese and avacado. The cemita originated in Puebla and is a traditional food here. It is delicious! You might of heard of a  restaurant called Cemitas Puebla in Chicago well known for it's cemitas. I've tried those and they were good, but they do not compare to these! 


  
My breakfast, which normally consist of eggs, with some type of meat or vegetable, with salsa and a nice plate of various fruits. (and of course coffee!)

Breakfast with tortillas topped with salsa, cheese and an egg (yum!)

 Caldo de Res (beef stew) with potatoes and rice

This is a mixiote with rabbit. A mixiote is a traditional pit-barbecued meat dish in central Mexico. The meat is cubed with the bone and seasoned with pasilla and guajillo chili peppers, cumin, thyme, bay leaves, cloves and garlic. It is then wrapped in small packages made of tough semi-transparent outer skin of the leaves of the maguey or century plant, which gives it a unique flavor.

Unwrapped!

Rice with rajas and corn (The rajas are from chile poblanos peppers)

Chilaquiles Pobres
Corn tortillas cut in quarters and cooked in a salsa made of 
chiles serranos, tomatoes, garlic, onion and cream

Tacos al pastor (pork) with pineapple! With fresh melon juice!
They have an array of fruits to choose from to make your drink. Any one you pick is delicious!

                                          
Tacos al pastor (close up)

Tacos Arabes, which also originated in Puebla in the 1930s, is almost like a pork kabob or gyros. Very tasty!

A big trump of meat, you see a lot of these around Puebla

Cemita de Puerco (pork)

Gordita a la Mexicana, a corn cake with salsa, cheese 
and chicharrón (fried pork rinds).

Quesadilla with cheese, mushrooms, peppers and salsa. 

Albondigas: A meatball made from ground meat rolled into a small ball made with breadcrumbs, minced onion, spices, eggs and salsa verde

See the egg inside?

El pan de milhojas
Great pastry dessert with creme in the center


Bananas with creme
Simple, yet delicious!

Flan made by a family member ( I already started to eat it)
It was too good!

Consome de Pollo 
(Chicken soup)


A very fresh salad of cucumbers and cooked mushrooms
(I loved it)

Pollo con salsa ranchera
Chicken with ranchera salsa

A light dessert to finish
(A typical vanilla cake)

Mollete 
Bread stuffed with beans, ham, and cheese, grilled in the oven and topped with pico de gallo
























No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario